2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Wednesday 25 February 2015

What We Are Reading February Edition

Welcome to February, the month of romance when we celebrate Valentines Day. But its not all about the romance, and the Darksiders have been reading some varied and interesting books this month.

From Jenny Schwartz:

I recently reviewed Shona Husk's "The Darkling Lord" which isn't out till 19 March. I enjoy Shona Husk's books. She has an interesting ability to introduce an anti-hero and make me believe in his value -- in how he accepts his own flaws, but acts to make the world a better place -- not that he's schmaltzy about it! Henry is a bit of an anti-hero, but more heroic than anything. I liked him. I liked his complicated world (oh Detroit!) and how he navigated the real and ethical minefields. Darah was a very believable fairy; human, but not quite. Her emotional journey was enthralling. Betrayal leaves scars. A fairytale for grown ups.
I've only recently started reading Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files" and the opening of "The Darkling Lord" had the same noir vibe. Noir and fantasy - great combination.





 

From Erica Hayes:

I'm reading Nunslinger by Stark Holborn, this book will explode your head. Very cool in a weird-Western kind of way. It's about this nun in Civil War America who's on this mysterious pilgrimage, and there's this outlaw, and a creepy Union army officer whom she at first mistakes for Jesus Christ, and... oh, its too hard to explain. It's Steven King's Gunslinger, with a nun. Yeah. 





From Kylie Griffin:

1001 DARK NIGHTS:SHOW ME, BABY - Cherise Sinclair (A Master of the Shadowlands novella)
While written as a novella, Cherise Sinclair packs so much into her stories that they never feel short. 
Great characters, powerful plot lines, scenes with powerful emotion, and a feeling of immense satisfaction once the last page is turned.
Another keeper in the Shadowlands series.

EDGE OF THE ENFORCER - Cherise Sinclair (A Master of the Shadowlands novel)
Cherise has the incredible skill of packing so much in one story. I have to admit I was intrigued on how I would view a sadist hero and if this would be an issue for me as a reader (my ignorance over what motivates a sadist) but to be honest, the explanation was interwoven into the storyline of the hero and it was so believably done, without sounding preachy, it was a non-issue part of the story.
This is what I find Cherise does so well - I love her layered characters and the emotional arc's she winds into the plot.
As I usually do when I get a Cherise Sinclair book, I read it in one sitting. It's another one for the keeper shelf.


 

And for myself. Last week I read Captive Prince, by CS Pacat, volume I and II in less than 24 hours because I just couldn't put it down. Bec McMaster had mentioned it and said the same thing, so I was intrigued to see what it was all about. I can't put my finger on exactly what made this book so addictive. It wasn't the first m/m romance I'd read, nor the first slave/master romance I'd read. The world-building was a bit lacking and we never find out much in the way of background as to why these two nations were at war and much of their culture outside of the usual court intrigues remained a mystery. The writing was not bad, but also not great, there was a bit of telling going on, but the way Pacat wove the story was addictive. I guess the old adage is true in this case: if you can tell a great story, even if the technique isn't perfect, then it won't matter because you'll still capture your readers. I was disappointed to find the third book hadn't come out yet, that it was due out last year but there's currently no word on when it will release. Like many other fans, I'm dying to know how the series will resolve. Also, this is the kind of book I'd really love to see made into a movie.  

Happy Reading into March!

~ Jess Anastasi

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing everyone! Love to see the variety of reading in this column.

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)