2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Friday 21 December 2012

What We Are Reading

Welcome to the last What We Are Reading for the year!

This month we have Janni Nell, Eleni Konstantine and Shona Husk

Janni Nell
I’ve been longing to publicly rave about Raven Talks Back by Beth Anderson. At $2.99 (Kindle) it has to be the bargain of the year. 

Raven Talks Back is a mystery with paranormal elements set in Alaska. What sets this apart from other mysteries is that the characters are so darn likeable. I loved hanging out with them. Raven Morressey is a mother of three, whose youngest, Timmy, is so traumatised after seeing a headless body on their lawn, that he becomes mute. Well, except when he’s talking in the voice of Raven’s dead father. Then there’s Jack O’Banion, the cop investigating the murder. He’s a genuine guy, but he makes mistakes not just with the investigation but with his choice of women. He’d be perfect for Raven if only she didn’t have a husband. So, does Jack catch the murderer? Does Timmy learn to speak in his own voice again? Does Raven’s husband get what he deserves? I’m not telling. Go buy the book.

I’m hoping this won’t be the last story featuring Raven Morressy.

Eleni Konstantine
Shadowglass by Erica Hayes
Really enjoyed - graphic, descriptive (Hayes has a very descriptive way), and liked the POVs.

What I love about the books is that the characters are very flawed but they make do with what they have. I mean two thieves as the protagonists - not what you call 'white hat' characters but they are both loveable because of their flaws, and you have to take their world into consideration when you hear the word 'thief'.




A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
What can I say? This book did not disappoint. Though I had seen the TV series, season 2, there are differences, which there always are.

I love the descriptions, and the complexity of the plot. I love the characters and you have to remember that most are kids (definitely a different world for them). Of course, there's new characters; others who are killed - that is not surprising in this world.

One thing that jarred me was referring to the ages as the same. Robb had a birthday, but everyone else seemed to stay the same despite the passage of time.

I'll definitely be continuing the series.

Shona Husk
I’ve been on a quest to empty my ereader before the end of the year. Some of the books have been there for 3 years…

The Pirate’s Lady by Julia Knight

This is the sequel to Ten Ruby Trick. Full of scheming racks and double crosses watching Van and Josie chase each other while trying not to admit how they feel was great fun.

Hotter on the Edge by Erin Kellison, KC Klein and Jessa Slade

This is a scifi romance anthology. Each of the stories is quite different, set on very different worlds. Because they aren’t linking in any way it was like reading three separate novellas. Which I didn’t mind as I like novellas.

Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine

I loved the first book in the Weather Warden series, bought book two and then got distracted. I’m hoping I enjoy book 2 as much as I did the first one.

1 comment:

  1. Eleni,in a Clash of Kings, I find the fact most of the characters are kids a bit blah, so I pretend they're not! Awesome, awesome, books and TV series!

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)