2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 17 March 2012

Darklight On...Annie Seaton


Today's Darklight On is with Annie Seaton. Welcome, Annie!




How did you come to write speculative fiction? What attracted you to the genre?
I love writing in the paranormal genre. It is most liberating and so much fun, not to be constrained by boundaries of time or physical capability. My latest novel (Blind Lust) is about witchcraft and Cupid. I had so much fun writing it!

I love world building.



Are you a plotter? Pantser? Or somewhere in-between?
Absolute died in the wool panster. My characters are so disobedient and will never do as they are told. I love it when they develop their strong characters.



Do have a favourite of your characters?
Wesley, my sexy, dark warlock from Blind Lust..out in June.. although Indigo de Vargas from Winter of the Passion Flower runs a very close second. She is a very strong character. I have an article coming out next week on Romance University about creating strong and sassy heroines and I deconstructed Indigo to write the article, because she created herself! It was a very interesting exercise to analyse the characterisation to see what made her so strong!
What are you currently working on?
Phew! Makes me tired to think about it. I usually just put my head down and do it!
I am currently writing the second of the four books in the Steampunk series. Summer of the Moon Flower is set in Vienna and Scotland, two of my favourite travel destinations. Number three, Inventions, Alchemy and other Wicked Adventures and Number four, Smugglers, Spring Blossoms and other Brass Things will follow next year.

I am also writing the second in the series for Entangled Publishing –Indulgence Line- is An Italian Adventure (working title) and follows the journey of Tom, a secondary character in Holiday Affair as he goes on a journey to self discovery and of course, romance, on the Italian coast.

A Matter of Trust, a romantic suspense set in the Caribbean is well under way.
I have also commenced From the Ashes (working title) -a single title about the strength of the human spirit after tragedy strikes.




What is your favourite part of the process of writing?
I love dreaming the stories in my head and then experiencing that wonderful rush when the words just flow into the keyboard and onto the screen.



What can we expect from Annie Seaton in the future?

Lots more books! My goal is to develop a substantial backlist. I also would like to complete my single title in time for the August conference...



Who are your favourite authors?
Many, many authors over my entire life. Mary Stewart in the 70s, Sharon Penman, Pat Conroy...Prince of Tides is one of my all time favourites.

Nora Roberts... just has that magic something. Elizabeth George and Peter Robinson, Val McDermid for British crime.

Australian...Diane Blacklock, Monica McInerney.

M&B... Essie Summers inspired my foray into writing romance. Marion Lennox is inspirational. Fiona McArthur for books that are uplifting.

I could go on and on...




What are you currently reading?
Celebrity in Death, JD Robb; Busted in Bollywood, Nicola Marsh; Kiss and Make Up, Faye Robertson



Do you have a favourite spec fiction movie or TV series?
I don’t watch TV or movies as I am too busy reading and writing!



Do you have advice for emerging writers?
Write every day. Don’t let life intrude and don’t make excuses. Read my blog on the Perils of Procrastination!


~~~
Thanks, Annie.

Annie had Holiday Affair released on the 15th March, and Winter of the Passion Flower will be released on the 19th March.

Go to her website for more details.

please note: The upcoming Magic Thursday will feature a giveaway by Annie of Winter of the Passion Flower. Thanks, Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)