2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Thursday 24 November 2011

Magic Thursday: "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal"

by Nicky Strickland


For those unaware (& I’ll forgive you), Joss Whedon is a tv and film creator. Some of his better known works are Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Serenity, Dr Horrible’s Sing-Along-Blog, Dollhouse, the upcoming Avengers movie and a little down the track, the shot (and being edited) Much Ado About Nothing. He’s also known for working as a script doctor on many movie projects.



What is the appeal for me about his work? I’ve had to think long and hard about this (ever since Eleni asked me to write this post). Many around me would say it is Joss the man who I admire. I do. Absolutely. Going to the Opera House in Sydney last year to hear him in a Q&A session was part fangirl experience and part masterclass. The session was, like his commentaries, interviews and other Q&A’s about the how, where, why of his various shows. Interspersed with it is how he views writing and storytelling.

Many moons ago, I became hooked on Buffy (aired in Australia at 10.30pm on a Monday night, matching my then library shiftwork) to the point I ventured to the message boards. I was completely sucked into the character development and arcs, the way stories were told. And that is where the appeal is. The storytelling.
Angel
He is a master weaver of woe (and every other strong emotion). He is renowned for his ability to build up the emotion (pick one) and then rip the carpet right from under you. It is a well known fact rarely do his couples survive a happy ever after scenario (and yes, the irony of writing this for a romance-centric blog is not lost on me). Whatever he does (mostly) primarily serves the story. Doesn’t matter how much a scene is loved by the creator, if it doesn’t work. Kill it. Joss reveals this happened with the episode “Waiting in the Wings” in Angel (season 3).


Not only is it Joss himself who tells stories well. He has repeatedly assembled cast and crews, in particular writers (Jane Espenson, Doug Petrie, Drew Goddard, Ben Edlund to name a few) who understood the story was key. The beginnings of my own learning about writing came from these shows. Sure the actors, set designers and composers did great jobs but it was the writers who kept the boat on course, with Joss at the helm.


Confession time - I’m a late starter to toddling along this writing path. I didn’t think I was creative. A dear friend I met via the Buffy boards dared me to write a story challenge. I said nuh, wouldn’t last 6 sentences, she said, uh-huh and, well, 16,000 words later with original characters interspersed within the Buffyverse….









Grr. Argh. 









4 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that from time to time, storytellers make television and movies. So often, it's not the storytellers doing it and the end result suffers. Joss has his weaknesses, but his strengths far outweigh them and we can but hope that he continues.

    Can't WAIT for Much Ado About Nothing - it's my fave Shakespeare play and I'm intrigued to see what Joss does with someone else's story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge Joss fan! I think he is the absolute master at milking emotions and I've always said that everything I've ever learnt about writing has come from Buffy. Which, you know, makes it tax deductible!!!

    I can't wait to see Avengers (I normally hate comic book movies but I just know that this is going to be an exception!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole & Amanda, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment :)

    Nicole, me either re Much Ado - I loved how it came together post Avengers shoot. Does he not understand 'down time'? (mind you my other half would say something similar so, perhaps I should be quiet *lol*).

    Everyone has their strength and weaknesses and there are some clunkers in the work but your right, having storytelling on the visual media outlets is a wonderful respite from what else is out there.

    Amanda, agree completely. I think it's one (of many) reasons why I approach my stories characters first. What they are going to have to go through, how they are going to cope (or not). LOL tax deductible - alas I have been given much through gifting (other half has to be curtailed sometimes...)

    Avengers - I'm hit/miss on the comic book movies but between the cast (for me, Robert Downey Jr & Chris Hemsworth) AND Joss writing and directing. I look forward to this day with glee and a smidge of trepidation re the studios...but more glee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Nicky. I think you've hit the nail on the head - character is really what makes things work - oh, and his sense of humour. Gotta love that.

    Can't wait to see the kick butt action in Avengers.

    ReplyDelete

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)